Hardware-1

Kristin has been asking for this to get done for almost a year now, so this weekend I finally installed the hardware on all of our kitchen cabinets and drawers.

Part of the reason it took so long to get it done was my concern that I might screw it up. Not that I don’t know what I’m doing or anything, it’s just that most of my projects involve cheaper materials (2×4’s, plywood, etc.) and it was a bit nerve racking knowing I was only going to get one shot at getting it right.

At first my thought was that I should take down each door, one by one, place them into a pre-built jig and drill the holes with a drill press, which I hoped would give me a perfectly placed straight holes.

But after consulting with a number of peeps they convinced me that it would be 10x the work to remove all the doors and then put them back on. They instead recommended building a jig that I could hold up to the door with it still on it’s hinges and drill all my holes.

So I gave this a shot. I built my jig, measured carefully and drilled my pilot holes. But after checking to make sure it would give me the proper whole placement I noticed I was off by about a quarter of an inch. ┬áSo I built another jig and tested it. This one also was incorrect, it wasn’t that the initial holes I drilled were wrong, it was that they were not perfectly straight, so on the back side of the jig they ended up being in the wrong spot.

I had already decided that if I was going to do this I was going to do it right, so I opted to instead use no jig and measure each one very carefully before drilling. It took around 4-5 hours to finish plus about a half hour of shop vac cleanup.

Hardware-5

Kristin really likes the “pulls” and I agree they really do look nice.